We’re so excited you’re coming to the BHP Professional Learning Community in New York, NY! Here’s everything you need to know.
P.S. – Still need to register for the event? Take care of that here!
Who: Presenters Chelsea Katzenberg, Jason Manning, and Todd Nussen (veteran BHP New York teachers), you, and other teachers from your area who teach the Big History Project
When: Tuesday, August 20, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.; Happy hour to follow.
What: Summer Professional Learning Community, which includes:
- BHP course overview, including shiny new updates and improvements to content this year. Yes, even you veterans will discover something new.
- Concrete understanding for the classroom—a deep dive into the skills, practices, and concepts of the course, and how they can be differentiated for students:
- Claim testing
- Determining causation
- Thinking across scales
- Integrating multiple disciplines
- Hands-on, new activities for each skill, practice, and concept (yep, you get to be the student). Bonus: Need to build an initial course plan? Check! This is when we’ll make it happen.
- Connections—meaningful ones, with peers in your area, and the chance to find out how to stay connected and supported throughout the year via the online BHP Teacher Community on Yammer.
- Lunch is provided and happy hour is to follow the meeting.
- What to bring: a laptop
- Directions: Information about getting to the National Archives at New York City can be found HERE. Upon arriving, please enter via the ground floor entrance on the Bowling Green side of the building. Participants will go through airport style security (metal detectors, x-ray machine) and should plan accordingly (e.g. no Swiss army knives). After going through security, take elevator to the 3rd floor and follow signs to the National Archives Learning Center.
- Check out Teaching Big History, our free, online professional development course, before attending the PLC. If you’re a new-to-BHP teacher, you’ll be light-years ahead. If you’re a veteran, you’ll get a helpful refresher.
- We’ll be covering a lot of ground (um, like 13.8 billion years). Check out and download the specific materials in advance (below), so you can follow along at the PLC.
Questions? Contact BHP Outreach Coordinator Mike Weisensel at email@example.com.
PLC RESOURCES AND DOWNLOADS
- Lesson 1.1: Scale – History of Me
- Lesson 1.1: Threshold Name Game
- Lesson 2.0: Narrative and Thresholds – The Big Bang
- Lesson 2.0: Causation – Natural Disasters
- Lesson 2.2: Disciplines – Who Knows What?
- BHP Resource: Disciplines Chart
- Lesson 1.3: Claim Testing – What Are the Claim Testers?
- Lesson 1.1: Big History: An Overview leveled texts
- Three Close Reads Worksheet
- Lesson 2.2: Analyzing Investigation Writing – Use of Evidence